Friday, May 15, 2009

Only in a College Town

So I just got back from seeing Angels and Demons with some friends at the theater here in Athens. The movie was good, not exceptional, but fine. A bit too much with the rotating camera for my poor stomach (a bit much with the gruesome for my stomach as well, actually) but I'm not a film reviewer. What I do want to comment on is what I experienced in the theater which I expect you would not find in a place that didn't have a large segment of researchers in the population.

First, the joke that got the biggest laugh was when Professor Langdon says "I could have finished my book if I had this! It would have sold dozens of copies!"

MINOR SPOILER
Second, soon after that, the woman he is with tears a page out of this only copy of a Gallileo book that has their code in it (instead of copying because there's no time). The entire audience gasped. gasped loudly. All the gruesome deaths in the movie? Less reaction than destroying the archive.

If I had any question whether this town was dominated by the university before, I do not any longer.

1 comment:

Rebecca B said...

funny story :) for sushi, you need sticky rice instead of regular, sheets of seaweed, and a bamboo mat to roll it. All of these are very inexpensive (seaweed= 5 sheets for about $2, which makes 5 rolls and the bamboo mat which is reusable and is only about $3) and should be near the premade sushi in the grocery story.
I found this website that talks you through making it:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/CaliforniaRoll.htm

Let me know if you try it! It was delicious!