Sunday, August 06, 2006

Book Meme

Kristen tagged me and I couldn't resist:

1: One book that changed your life: Changed in what way? Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott. It's a book that is your friend, and it will always tell you you aren't crazy. Or Madeline L'engle Walking on Water, because it helped me develop my views on christians and culture as an adolescent.

2: One book you have read more than once: Traveling Mercies. Or most things we used a lot in Jazz Vespers.

3: One book you would want on a desert island: Something with lots of new material (like Kristen said). Maybe an anthology of contemporary liturature, or the complete works of shakespeare.

4: One book that made you laugh: Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Sometimes in public. It was embarrassing but I didn't care.

5: One book you wish you had written: Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner. Because we're the same kind of nerd. Or Anything by Anne Lamott because she's incredible.

6: One book you wish had never had been written: I'm going to agree with Kristen and go with anything by Anne Coulter.

7: One book that made you cry: The Brothers K by David James Duncan

8: One book you are currently reading: Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglass Coupland

9: One book you have been meaning to read: everything. well, my pile has David Dark's The Gospel According to American and some Stanley Hauerwas. I don't know what is taking me so long with the rest of the Coupland catalogue.

10. One book you wish everyone would read, and why: Brave New World or 1984 (or any dystopia really) so you know what we're trying to avoid.

Now tag five people.

Jim
my dad
kristin (who is an english teacher)
kent
matt(both because thorubos definately deserves the shoutout here.)
or whoever.

5 comments:

kristen said...

girlfriend in a coma is the only coupland book i've read...it is weird. thanks for playing!

Bob K said...

OK, I did it :-)

Thanks for the tag.

Rick said...

*Gospel According to America* is really good, and I've read enough Coupland to appreciate him, but not *Girl In A Coma* yet. Great list - I'd probably have Anne Lamott in there somewhere, too, for *Bird By Bird*.

Ryan Henderson said...

i think traveling mercies helps me feel like i am not crazy, but that ann lamott might be. :)

Anonymous said...

The most interesting dystopian book I've read is "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin. He wrote it in 1920-21 and it was the inspiration for Orwell's "1984," so I'd encourage you to read it - I was surprised to realize how much of Orwell's disconcerting landscape was really created by Zamyatin. I will readily admit that Orwell creates more nuanced layers than Zamyatin as you see the rot beneath the utopia, but in some ways I think Zamyatin's stark depiction of OneState is even more compelling because of how much the main character, whose voice the story is written in, believes in what OneState stands for as long as he can, despite what he learns. Hope you enjoy it.