Thursday, March 17, 2005

Religion in Academe

Gideon Strauss alerted me to an article by Stanley Fish that suggests that religion is going to be the next big thing in Academics. This is great news for people like me!
Unfortunately, I can't access the article since I don't subscribe to the chronicle of higher education. you need a subscription to the Chronicle of Higher Education to read his links (Calvin College provides its students access, which I used) but Strauss quotes extensively, so I get the general idea without too much effort.

I am looking forward to seeing how this plays out in the next few years. A greater tolerance (and even hunger) for religious commitment in academic work would be good news for me, as I try and bring the skills I learned at Calvin and in my involvement with church into a more public sphere.

My lit theory professor, Dr Ingraffia, beleives that theorising from a Christian perspective has long been undervalued and ignored in academics, and perhaps things are changing. How might this effect the way things are taught at public universities? How might this trend influence the way the church as a whole does academics, art, politics and public life? Perhaps it would just give those who have been integrating all along more attention.

No comments: